Sunday, May 15, 2011

Week Twenty: Prom

Prom.

Since I’m unschooled, nineteen years old, and not planning on attending high school or college, not having a prom kinda comes with the territory.

No standardized tests, no running to classes that you hate, no staying up until 3am to finish all the homework, no cafeteria food, and no prom.

Actually, one of the reactions that I got with surprising frequency when I was a younger unschooligan was “but, you’ll miss PROM!”Apparently, this was intended to make me clap my hand over my mouth and scream “OH GOD NO SIGN ME UP FOR SCHOOL NOW I CAN’T MISS PROM”.

Get a high-priced dress, hire a limo, rent a tux, ask a opposite gendered partner to the dance, feel like a loser if you’re not asked to the dance, get a corsage and a spray tan, go to the dance.*

(My god, the things I’ve missed.)

Except that I do get prom.

Every year, my local homeschool group has put together a prom for all of the, 11 to 18 year olds. Every year, I’ve searched for a dress at the thrift store, did my hair in the bathroom, fussed with makeup**, and then went to the dance with a group of whoever in the area homeschool community is going.

This year, I’m simply too olde*** to go. There’s some tiny part that misses going, although as the years have gone by, many of my friends have stopped attending, so my group has grown smaller, and I’ve enjoyed the dance less and less.

Arc’s friend (and by extension, my friend) invited me to a wonderous event, in which we would get dressed up in fancy dress and romp about in the dirt and grass. Unfortunately, it falls on the SAME DAY AS RELAY FOR LIFE. So, I shan’t be attending that (this year, at least).

However, a wonderful person has created Internet Prom, and yes, it’s exactly what it sounds like. Prom. On the internet.

I made a video and asked my friend Emily to the dance, and she said yes. So now I’m excited. ^__^

Here’s the video of me, so you can see what I look like in my everyday life, and then dressed up.


And now, I have a question for you. Are you going to Internet Prom?

See you next week,
Whimsy

* Not saying that EVERYBODY’S prom experience is like this, but from what I’ve seen, most are like that.

**The one day of the year where I actually take the time to voluntarily to put on makeup. It just makes my skin feel all eeeeeuuurgh.

***Any excuse to use that spelling. Any excuse at all.

1 comment:

  1. Wow- that's too funny! We have a homeschool group around us that does a prom every year too!!!! Hehe- it's actually coming up & I can't wait! :D June 14th!
    But ours allows 11-19 year olds to come... That stinks that you won't be able to go this year :( I just bought my dress (I'm gonna post pictures on my Blog as soon as I find my camera... ;) & I'm super excited!! :D This'll be my 3rd time going & I'm still looking forward to it (thankfully- I don't want the excitement to ever fade!!) It pretty much the only time I can stay up late & dance all night with the music blasting :D Sad thing is- I haven't had a date to one of the Spring Flings yet D: How sad is that?!? Hehe- but actually- it's kinda better that way... You're alot more free to dance with & do what you please :)

    Anyhoo... the internet Prom is too funny xD Love the video! <3

    xoxo
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They taste delicious on toast. Also, I read and reply to every comment.