Thursday, March 11, 2010

I can't wait! (True Colors, ect.)

Tomorrow I will hurl myself into a maelstrom of rainbows.

Yes indeedy, True Colors is here at last.

Even though I'm not much of a girly-girl, I have spent the past 2 days picking out clothing, painting my nails shimmery-gitter-purple, rainbowizing my jeans, fluffing my fedora, and generally being concerned about my appearance in a way that I'm not usually.

Plans for the conference include, but are not limited to:

* Workshops on swing dancing, queer lit for young children, going beyond binaries, creating online safe spaces, and possibly gender neutral pronouns.

* Hanging about with my friend J.A, who I have not seen since LAST True Colors conference.

* Getting up stupidly early to see aforementioned friend.

* Acquiring more rainbow necklaces, mayhaps scarves and various sundry articles of clothing.

* Seeing theater, live music, a drag show and other amazingness.

* Keynote speakers on all sorts of sweet stuff.

I'm not certain if I have made myself clear in previous posts, but I identify as bisexual, but prefer the term queer.
"Bi" implies only two genders, and cuts out any/all genderqueer people.
Besides, I feel way more "queer" than I do "bi". In the words of David Levithan (talking through Kyle), "...Why do we have to find a word for it? Can't it just be what it is?"

I'm out to anyone who asks, meaning that I'm sure as hell not going to lie, or hide, but I don't feel the need to wear a shirt that says "GUESS WHAT WORLD? I'M QUEER!!!" emblazoned across the front. That shirt would be quite obnoxious, in truth.
I've told my mums (they are awesome, and so open...) my dad (we don't get along to well), a few friends, and my sister (she rocks). I'm also quite out online, but haven't put on my facebook "men and women" in the "interested in" section.

Why haven't I? That's a good question. Maybe it's because I don't feel the need for facebook to tell the world who I might like as a potential partner. Maybe it's because I haven't answered my religon (pagan), political views (left-wing), "looking for" (friendship), town of residence (not putting THAT out there), or relationship status(single). Maybe it's because even though I have identified as bisexual for over a year, I still feel like I might change someday (sexuality is fluid). Maybe it's because I simply don't feel like answering questions.

I'm not even sure that not putting down "interested in men and women" is that big a deal. Plenty of people don't say what/who they are interested in.
Then again, on the other hand, visibility for LGBT people is extremely important.

Must fly off to bed for rest for tomorrow!

Thrilled,
Whimsy

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a brilliant time.
    ~Elle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed I did. See latest post for a full run-down.
    ~Whimsy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They taste delicious on toast. Also, I read and reply to every comment.