Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week Eight: "Grown Up"

I hope I never grow up.

I don't mean that in the Peter Pan-Neverland sort of way, or the horribly morbid I-Shall-Die-Before-I-Grow-Old way, or even the I-Refuse-To-Take-Responsibility-For-Anything-Therefore-Remaining-Childlike-Forever kind of way.

What I mean is this. Children blow on dandelions and watch the seeds scatter, not worried about weeds marring their pristine lawns. Children ask questions because they are interested in finding out "how come"?

I want to always...look for the rainbow in the garden hose off-spray.
...blow dandelions and watch the seeds fall where they may.
...hang over the edge of the tree house and pretend I can fly.
...dance like a madman to 80's music.
...wonder what the world would be like with purple clouds.
...do cartwheels, regardless of my talents.
...get excited about small things like grape jelly.
...look for heart shaped rocks at the beach.
...believe in fairies and magic.

That, to me is the definition of "grown-up". In addition, saying that you're "grown-up" seems to me to be saying that you can't grow anymore. To me, growing is a process that I never want to stop. If you can't grow anymore, then you're stuck in a state of stasis.

I want to grow, but I never want to be grown.


~Whimsy



P.S. Why has this struck me now? This coming Tuesday, I start my second session of classes as a teacher at a local homeschool co-op. This time, instead of working with teens, I'm going to be working with littler ones, ages 6-12. Honestly, I couldn't be happier. I love that age range. ^___^

P.P.S. Am also building props for a local theater, and working tech-whatnot at another theatre this coming Sunday.

P.P.P.S I'm feeling like my life is very exciting right now.

7 comments:

  1. Yea, I don't ever want to grow up either. Growing up is overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, but I'm unclear: How is your way different from the Peter-Pan-Neverland sort of way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ruth
    Whole-heartedly agreed!

    @Elisha
    THANK YOU.

    @Michael
    I'm sorry! I should have been more clear. ^__^ To me, the Peter Pan-Neverland kind of way is very much...no responsibilities, almost forcing yourself to remain juvenile in an unhealthy way. I still want to take on responsibilities, grow and change, but I don't want to lose the magic. Peter Pan (to me, at least) is in his own state of stasis, the same as a person who becomes "grown up".
    Does that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes sense to me. Thanks for clarifying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU GOTTA PUT STUFF ON YOUR HEAD, PUT STUFF ON YOUR HEAD. IT COULD BE BLUE OR IT COULD BE RED, IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER IF IT'S OON YOUUUUR HEAAAAAAAD.

    (Yes. That's what I got from this whole thing. A retro John Green song. lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rachel THAT MAKES ME SO HAPPY. I WAS GOING FOR THAT. ^___^ THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They taste delicious on toast. Also, I read and reply to every comment.