Sunday, March 27, 2011

Week Thirteen: I have a problem.

I have a problem.

I'm a very theatrical person, as anyone who's met me knows. I make goofy faces, gesture with my hands, and I put on silly voices. That's not the problem.

I love all kinds of theatre, British movies/TV shows, and generally being a goof. That's not the problem either.


I'll explain the problem here:

Here I am, just hanging about, and I want some tea, and as I put the kettle on, I ask "Oy, Mum, d'you want some tea?" After getting a reply, I take the teabag wrapper and chuck it in the bin. I take my tea over to the computer, sit down and watch Doctor Who, and promptly burn my mouth on the scalding liquid. "Bollocks!"

Let's pause the action for a moment. Has anyone other than myself noticed something odd here? I have lived in America for my entire life, never even VISITED the UK.

It should be clear now. I suffer from Inexplicably British Syndrome.



Quoting a movie? British accent.

Need to curse? British accent and British curse words.

Feel like you're losing your mind? No, you're just mad. Maybe daft, too.

Being goofy? Of course you're British!

Accents you can understand perfectly: Anything British.

Accents you can't understand: Southern American.



It's hilarious, since I'm not doing it intentionally, it's an accident. Mum's actually had to ask me what I'm talking about, to which I reply "Oh, Americans don't say that?".


Anyhow, I must fly. I have two crazy-busy days ahead, and I have to go and DO THINGS.

Cheers, y'all,
~Whimsy


(As I write this, it strikes me as ironic that I'm listening to Party In The USA/watching an American Sign Language interpretation of it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They taste delicious on toast. Also, I read and reply to every comment.