Thursday, January 6, 2011

Exerpt from last NaNoWriMo. (bonus post!)

So, NaNoWriMo has come and gone, and I am left with a 50,000+ word manuscript that is in desperate need of editing.

What am I to do? Start editing, of course.

So, that's been taking up a good deal of my time lately, what with fixing all my poor grammar and screwy word choices. Not to mention the stilted dialogue.
Oh, stilted dialogue, why must you plague me so... >.<

That being said, I do have some interesting words in there that for the life of me, I can't recall typing during November. I re-found my choice of "soliloquizing" at one point, and I am pretty dang pleased with that. Overall, I like how it turned out, I really do. The plot arcs in a pleasing way, and my characters (overall) are original and non-Mary-Sue like.

Now, you all, as the readers of my blog, get the dubious honor of reading the first fixed-up bits of my book.

The following is a letter, written from my main character's mother to her lover. It's one of the first bits of the book, and I'm really proud of it.

March 20, 1461

My beloved Carys.
Here I am, living with Tavis now. I miss having you next door, or the next room, or the next chair. If you could only know how often I think of you...

I am so lucky to have a husband who understands me. Tavis is wonderful, he truly is. Never pressures me for anything...as well he shouldn’t! He knows I’m already promised to you, if not in law, in heart. Oh, my beloved, if you and I could only live and marry like I can with Tavis. I long for that day.

How are your parents? How is your sister, Serilde? Is the village missing us? To be frank, I don’t miss them at all. Too many voices saying “No, no, don’t do that. Do it this way, the proper way, our way”. It’s wearing. You aren’t, of course. I miss you so deeply, and I wish...

Oh, if you could see the sunset from our house. All these fiery reds and oranges mixed with the cool purples and blues. I think of you as I watch it every night.
When do you think you’ll have enough money to join us? Another six months? A year? Two years? I’m so impatient, but I can’t help but say hurry, Carys. We’ve been building a small home next door, and then all will be as it used to be. I can’t say “how it should be” since “how it should be” would have us living together in the large house, and Tavis living in the small one next door!

You are still wearing the ring I gave you, am I right? Has Colin asked why you’re wearing another man’s ring yet? I don’t see why you can’t just tell him you aren’t interested. He’ll stop asking when you tell him once and for all that he hasn’t got a chance, but until then, he’ll keep plodding along like the ox that he is.
The air is so crisp and cool up here. Some mornings, it’s like breathing ice. Really wakes you up.

Tavis knows I miss you, and sends his love as well. We talk about you often, and we both miss you terribly. I hope you’ll recognize me when we meet again. Tavis says that I’ve grown paler, if that’s possible! It has to be the mountain air.
I must go now, my love. Thanks be to the gods that we have these letters to exchange. I don’t know what I would do if we didn’t have this.

Wishing you here with me,
Ziska Riedwyn Bronwy


If you liked it, let me know! If not, tell me why, if you would. If you're interested in hearing/reading more, let me know that as well, because I'll have other bits as I go along editing.

Cheers and all that wonderful stuff,
Whimsy

P.S.
If you did NaNo, how'd it turn out? Are you doing it this coming November?

P.P.S. Putting this out here for anyone to read on the internet is really quite nervous-making.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, darling NaNo, how you torture Hans Adolf...THERE IS A BACKSPACE BUTTON. USE IT.

    Still loving the whole story <3

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They taste delicious on toast. Also, I read and reply to every comment.