Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Week Twenty-Nine: A Letter

I decided to write a nice letter to WB, the makers of the Harry Potter films after watching the last movie, and thought I would share it with you. Keep in mind, there are SPOILERS from this point on.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.


Dear WB, and everyone else involved in making the (admitedly amazing) Harry Potter movies:
Congratulations on making the Harry Potter films such a wonderful (overall, let's not get ahead of ourselves) addition to JKR's magical word.
I adored the movies. I really did, and that is part of the reason why I am talking the time to write to you about the latest film, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two.
The list of things I loved about this particular installment would be far too long to write down here, but suffice it to say that I loved a good 90% of the film. However, there is one thing above all that I took issue with.
There is a certain detail that I believe went a tad bit...off, when the Harry Potter books were being translated to movie form.
First, may I start out by saying that I, unlike many Potter fans, can forgive you for not making Harry's eyes green. I understand that Daniel was allergic to the contacts, so it's not like you didn't try. Harry's eyes are a charming light blue that borders on piercing. I can deal.
Now let's fast forward a few movies. As a viewer, we have numerous repetitions that Harry has "his mother's eyes". This fact is practically drilled into our skulls. Harry and Mummy have the same eyes.
It was July 15th, just after midnight. Here I am along with dozens of other devotees of Harry Potter, watching Snape's memories and bawling my eyes out. In front of me on the screen appears young Lily. She's adorable, with long flowing red hair, a sprinking of freckles, the sweetest little smile you've seen, and big brown eyes.

Yes, you have read that correctly, my dear WB friends. Her eyes are a beautiful deep, rich brown. To reiterate, Harry's eyes, while green in the book, are light blue in the movies, while Lily's eyes (that are supposed to match Harry's to the extent that almost every person he meets remarks upon them) are deep brown.

In light of this most grevious mishap, I suggest a revision to the famous line that plagued Harry his entire life..."You have your mother's eyes". From what I see, this line is not accurate at ALL, and therefore, my suggestions follow in a neat bullet point list for easy reference.

* "You have your mother's eyes when she forgot to wear her colored contacts."
* "Your mother's eyes were placed just like that on her face, too."
* "You have your mother's eyebrows."
* "You have your mother's blinking habits."
* "You have your mother's perfect vision...with your glasses on."
* "The scum on your lenses sure makes it look like you have your mother's eyes."
* "You have the same number of eyes as your mother."

If you wish to use any of these lines in future, I would be much obliged.

Sincerely,
Whimsy McWhimsysen

4 comments:

  1. Haha. I love the substitute lines. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy S: Why thankee much! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha~ this is soooo hilarious! I had to read it out loud to my 2 sisters!!! xD I haven't seen the 7th movie yet (on the 4th!!!!!! YAYYY!!!!!!!!!!), but I've read all the books (at least 5 times!)- so I know everything about Harry Potter! xD

    Hahhahaa, I can't believe that messed that up!!! Since they say it all the time, not only in the books, but in the movies too!!!! Your list is completely genius! Hahah, it had me cracking up xD

    Thanks for the good laugh! ♥ And I'm totally ready to bawl my eyes out at the movie! xD

    xoxo
    Jordan♫

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jordan: You will BAWL. The movie is so GOOD.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They taste delicious on toast. Also, I read and reply to every comment.