Monday, July 11, 2011

Week Twenty-Six: Social Experiment

I've learned something, and I would like to share this story with you all.

I'm a naturally quiet person. My first instinct is to not engage in a conversation with someone, and just let my distractions take over, so I just pay attention to whatever the most shiny thing in the room is. Remaining quiet means I don't have to worry about all the funny little social things that we humans feel the need to do, and it has the added advantage of freeing up my brain-space for even more thought about whatever is buzzing around in my head.

There are, however, some distinct disadvantages to this strategy. The first, and most blatant problem is that after this, I sometimes end up wishing that I had the nerve to just insert myself in the conversation.

Recently, I've been attempting to put myself out there more, and (I know that half/most of you are reading this just KNOWING what I'm going to say, and are ready with a "No, REALLY, Whimsy?", but I need to say this anyway) people are really receptive, if you're put yourself out there and be friendly first.

And when I do, it's nice to make connections with people. I've been to a few wizard/nerd rock shows this summer, and am lucky enough to be going to another at the end of the month, where I shall continue to employ my new tactic. It's working so far.


~Whimsy



Addendum part A: I still consider myself an introvert, and happily so. I do enjoy hanging around with people, as well as hanging around myself and my books.

Addendum part B: Perhaps this will be one of those "Why did I blog at 2am?" type of posts, but even if it is, that's fine with me. As of right now, I genuinely like what I've written, and that's good enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely a quiet person too. Somehow other nerds seem much easier to talk to, so I'm usually more talkative at wizard rock events :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I know what you mean. I get along so much better with nerds than just about ANY OTHER PEOPLE, so much so, that I have very few friends who aren't nerdy folk themselves. Oh well... xD

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They taste delicious on toast. Also, I read and reply to every comment.