Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Week Twenty-Seven: Summer Projects

Well, it's summer now*!

Since I've never gone to school, summer means something different than "OMG NO MORE SCHOOL THROW A FREAKING PARTY".
To me, summer is a wonderful time (sometimes FAR too hot), where I can get to talk to all my schooled friends late at night, and they don't have to vanish so they can get up early.

Also, a big part of summer is/are my summer project(s). Now, when I say summer project(s), I don't mean schoolwork, or really, work of any kind. Summer projects are all to do with fun, in my opinion.

In previous years, I've decided to read an entire book series, or find out all I can about Shakespeare, make my own wooden sword with a hacksaw and some paint, start planning a novel, or prepare for the theatre season that begins in the fall.

This year, I have accidentally ended up with far, far too many summer projects, and it's just halfway through July. O__O These projects take on minds of their own, and as the summer rolls along, I will undoubtedly find another two, three or four MORE projects to add to my ever-growing list. Oh woe.

Current possible summer projects include:


Reading up on Anne Bonny and Mary Read.

For some reason, this set of famous female pirates seem like a on-again-off-again good idea to do my NaNoWriMo novel about. I think I need a BIT more information about exactly what they did and who they were before I can properly put pen to paper and draw up an outline for anything. I'd like to fill in some of the fuzzy details. The past two years, I've done realistic YA and a fantasy epic for NaNo, so maybe this year I'll do something totally different!

Watching all the the X-Men movies:

Yes, I know. It's a mildly silly goal, but I really liked X-Men: First Class. I've never gotten into superheroes, but there's something about that crazy misfit band of mutants that I really liked. This project is rather similar to my TOS Star Trek watching attempt. I saw Star Trek 2009, and I wanted to see what else Trek-related I would enjoy. Let's just say that old Trek was a bit difficult to get into, so that's on the side right now. HOWEVER, Netflix has Star Trek Voyager, and that one's a bit newer, with a female captain. We shall have to see...

Plotting this November's NaNoWriMo:

This one is kind of hinging on doing research about Anne and Mary, but I like to get my ducks in a row for NaNo far, far before I actually NEED to. If I'm going to do a full-scale fantasy novel again, I'll need all the prep time I can get. I've also got some other plans bopping about in my head, but nothing concrete enough to put on paper. I WILL PREVAIL, THO'!

Vlogging:

I've said that I'm camera-shy on NUMEROUS occasions, but after doing a video with Nick for his collab channel, I think I'll throw myself whole-heartedly into yet ANOTHER crazy plan. Good ideas are good.

Buffy:

A good portion of my friends have watched and subsequently LOVED Buffy. I've seen the pilot episode, and it was pretty...okay, but I'm not giving up yet. So many people adore that show, and they can't ALL be wrong. (Or maybe they can. There are an AWFUL lot of Twilight fans out there.) I'll give it another few episodes to prove itself.



I haven't quite picked out what projects I'd like to see to completion, but I have high hopes.

There's an awful lot of summer left, and an AWFUL lot of awesome things to do. I'll see you later, friends!

~Whimsy



*For this unschooler, summer starts in June, and goes all the way through September 1st, the day that Hogwarts term starts.

2 comments:

  1. Word of advice about Buffy: The first season almost complete rubbish. I had to FORCE myself to get through season one, but seasons two and three are AMAZING (I haven't finished the series yet; I'm almost done with season 3). If you still don't like it after a few episodes, I encourage you to power through it, or just skip to season two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not give up on Buffy! It gets better as it goes on! I personally enjoyed some of the first season's episodes because all of the characters remind me of my friends. Just wait for Spike. Spike makes the show. I've seen all seven seasons. Multiple times. Eheheehee...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They taste delicious on toast. Also, I read and reply to every comment.