Monday, July 11, 2011

Week Twenty-Five: A Discussion Of Summer And Why This Blog Post Is So Late

Why hello!

I realize it's been a rather long while, and that, as of now, I am a month behind ohttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifn my project. My plans are to fix this by creating a series of blogs. I will firstly, catch up, and secondly, I will attempt to actually finish this year-long project in a blaze of glory, not a puddle of failure. xD

Currently, this project is in the puddle of failure phase. But never fear, dear readers, THIS BLOG WILL SURVIVE.

So, I've been doing pretty much everything, which is why I haven't had any time to properly blog. Between having the ever-charming Nick over to my house for a whole week, continuing rather large home-improvement projects, having parties and things, going on vacation, and still keeping up with the classes/workshops I participate in, getting ready for HP7 part 2 and writing some new music, I haven't even had any time to sit and READ, which has been a travesty all unto itself.

Just a few days ago, I managed to get to a library, and I subsequently curled up with my books, and haven't let go since. I still have my summer re-read of Taggerung and Pearls of Lutra, which are my two favorite Redwall books. Yes, I know. I'm nineteen, and I read Redwall. I own almost every one of those books, and despite the fact that they're certainly follow a formula, I've read each one numerous times.

I can probably tell you the full history of the vermin hordes in Mossflower, and the chronicles of the Badger Lords in order (not the order the books were released in, the order that the story follows), and more than likely, I could draw up a half-way decent map of the Abbey.

There are some books that I read as comfort food, when life is getting too crazy, when my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer, when I have no time to breathe, I can set aside a few minites to scan a page or two of a book that I've read over and over again. And every time I read that book, I return to an old friend. I might remember the dialouge, and I might hum the songs when they appear in the text, and I might know who dies in the end, what the end result of a prophecy or a riddle is, but that doesn't matter. In between the pages of that book, I've found a small piece of sanity where I had none before.

Thankfully, there's no disaster in my life that calls for pulling out the Redwall books, but I still like to read them when it's summer.

I can lay back on the grass, begin the story, and just think about living in a tiny stone abbey, eating food made by ottercooks and dreaming of a sword that belonged to a small warrior with a big heart.

~Whimsy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They taste delicious on toast. Also, I read and reply to every comment.