Sunday, August 8, 2010

BEDA blog 8: Nothing lasts forever; sparklers.

Nothing lasts forever.

I'll start out by saying that, so you know that this will be an introspective post, not a completely off-the-wall one.

So, three years ago, my maternal grandmother, who I am very close to, was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer.

Stage four cancer, of any type is the worst stage. There are four stages, and one is the best stage (if there is a "good" cancer).

The doctors took out half her lung, and unfortunetly, the margins were not clean. In normal-person-who-does-not-know-cancer speak, this means they didn't get it all.

Obviously, this sucks.

So, the Dr said to us (her family) that we will be lucky to have her around for christmas. (This was in July of 2007.)


Today, I celebrated my grandmother's 69th birthday. She is still here.

I was standing outside, lighting off sparklers with my grandmother and the rest of my (very small) family, and it struck me.

I had better enjoy every moment I have with her, because nothing lasts forever.

It was bittersweet, happily sad, and altogether melodramatic.

(I just ruined the moment for all you readers-of-this-post, didn't I?)

I guess what I'm trying to say is this:

I appreciate every moment I have with my grandmother, even when she's driving me nuts, because I know that one day, she won't be here to drive me crazy.

So, that's the end of my overly sappy post.

~Whimsy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They taste delicious on toast. Also, I read and reply to every comment.