Friday, August 13, 2010

BEDA, Day 13: Plotting.

As you (I have no doubt) know, I am currently at work plotting for my NaNoWriMo novel this November.

I have been plotting my buns off (not that that can ACTUALLY happen), and I came up with something that I like.

So, I was thinking that I would write a story, in a fantasy setting, about gray morals. You know when you're reading a fantasy story and there are two distinct sides? The Good Side and The Bad Side?
Well, I'm trying to create a story where there IS no good and bad sides, and both of the sides have made mistakes, and each of them think that they are The Good Side.

So that's the premise.

The Actual Story takes place AFTER the "good" guys, vanquish the "bad" guys, the place where most fantasy stories end

One daughter from each side of the old conflict meet and start working together.

My plan was for them to take down the corrupt government and free the people, blah blah blah.

The problem is, well...

I have hit a brick wall of the evil WRITER'S BLOCK. Dun dun dunnnnnnn.

I wrote a nicely angst-ridden backstory for the parents of said children, but alas the daughters are giving me issues.

Now, I am wondering if I should just scrap the tales of the daughters and go with the parents instead.

I really like the backstory, but I don't know if I can handle immersing myself in that story for a month.

The reason why is this: To get to the point that I needed for the daughters, I had to create a lot of angst. They needed to really hate the other side with a passion, so most of the characters needed to die.

Also, I would have a very hard time not sympathizing with the "bad" side, because I find them far more interesting and I think I really kinda love them. So sad that I had to kill them.

I haven't been able to move beyond the place where I'm stuck for days. Ahhhhrgh.

So that's my story.

My QE is thus:

What are you writing?

and

How do you un-block your writer's block?

2 comments:

  1. Write when you're upset, it works wonders :) Or rely on your wonderful sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully, I seem to have un-blocked my story, and now the outline is done. *huzzah*

    All I need to do for fixing up the outline is to go back and change the stuff that doesn't make sense now so that the backstory makes sense with the end.

    I shall keep that in mind, thank you, Charlie.

    ~Whimsy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They taste delicious on toast. Also, I read and reply to every comment.